Monday, July 25, 2011

July is almost over...

And I've managed to skip almost two months on my blog. *sigh* Such is life, though.

Today's blog is going to have a recipe, both the original and my tweaks. The original came from a recipe booklet my mom gave me - "Fast & Fresh Pasta."

Mexican Manicotti
Ingredients:
12 uncooked manicotti shells
1 lb lean ground beef
1 (6oz) can tomato paste (the original recipe calls for
     specific brands, but since I didn't pay attention to
     that, I'm omitting the brands here)
1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning mix
1 package (3 oz) softened cream cheese
1 egg
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (8 oz) diced green chiles
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I left this out)

1.) Heat oven to 350.  Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.  Rinse WELL with cold water and drain WELL.  In a 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked; drain.  Stir in tomato paste, taco seasoning mix, and 1 1/2 cups water.  Cook over medium heat until hot and bubbly.
2.) Mix together cream cheese, egg, sour cream, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, chiles, and 2 TBSP of cilantro. Spoon about 1 cup beef mixture into bottom of baking dish. Spoon about 3 1/2  TBSP mixture into each pasta shell, and place in baking dish.  Top with remaining beef mixture.
3.) Cover and bake 40-45 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro before serving.

We tried this recipe pretty much as written.  I left out the egg as it always makes me uneasy mixing raw egg with soft cheeses (I always wonder if the egg got cooked enough - ick!), and I didn't use the cilantro.  It was pretty bland, and the filling left something to be desired, both in flavor and consistency. So...  the changes I've made...

14 uncooked manicotti shells (because that's the size off all the packages of manicotti
           shells I've found, plus it gives you a few extras if you get broken ones)
1 lb fajita chicken pieces (I get this in the quick meals area of the cold case)
1 8oz container cream cheese (I like the garden vegetable flavor, or to make it TS, I'm
           going to try using a Tempting Taco Cheese Ball)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 8oz can diced green chiles
1 package Taco Blend shredded cheese (about 2 cups in a package)
1 15-16oz can enchilada sauce (I use mild, but use the heat you like.  I'm feeding
           four picky children!)


1.) Heat oven to 350.  Spray a 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Cook the manicotti shells as directed, rinse and drain well.
2.) In a large bowl, chop chicken pieces.  Smaller pieces are easier to fit into the shells.  Once chopped, add cream cheese, sour cream, ricotta cheese, green chiles, and about 1 cup (half the package) of shredded cheese.
3.) Pour in enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of baking dish.  Spoon chicken mixture into shells and place in baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce.
4.) Cover and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining cheese, and bake 5 minutes more.


Let me know how your manicotti turns out, should you decide to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment